Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Free for all...well not all!

This semester, one of my classes had an assignment to find and receive free materials for the classroom. I never knew what kind of really cool, free materials were available for classroom teachers! I was really excited about receiving teaching kits, posters, videos and more for my classroom. One problem...

I don't actually have a physical classroom...yet! If for some reason a company out there read this and thought we might be committing some type of fraud, I will have a classroom within the next year. In the mean time, these "freebies", and other school maerials, have taken over my house.

A few weeks ago I purchased an 18 gallon Rubbermaid container to store some books my mom had bought for my future classroom, and I thought "Ooh! I can put my freebies in this container too!" Ever the optimist!

After the Social Studies conference, the mass amounts of books my mom purchases(love her and books!), and the freebies, the container was overflowing in my living room. Tonight, I travled to the WalMart and purchased another 18 gallon container to spread out the books and materials from this semester! This is probably my 5th for just school materials! One of the 5 is bigger than 18 gallons! I know! But it's for a good cause!

So in case you didn't already think I am extremely nerdy for forming such a large collection of stuff for a classroom I am yet to have, I want to inform you, I am nowhere near done collecting books and more! My mom and I have this theory...When I finally get a classroom, we know we will have to purchase some things, okay, a lot of things, to set it up. But!!! We are starting to collect things you can never go wrong with so we won't have to spend as much at one time! And really how many teachers can say they started teaching their first year with a large selection of books for the classroom library, containers to organize materials, and really cool free stuff for kids to use and look at?

Well me!

No comments: